Early Childhood Outreach
Food and fitness is important because no matter where we are, the places where we live, learn, work and play affect our health and quality of life. Our children's health is directly linked to the type and the quality of food they eat and to the environments in which they grow and play. We want to ensure that caregivers (family and others) of children from birth to age five provide health-promoting food and active play.
Kids who eat healthy food and get regular exercise:
- Tend to have better academic achievement
- Demonstrate improved classroom behavior
- Are absent or tardy less often
- Are ready to learn
NE Iowa Food and Fitness is working to form relationships with organizations and programs across the region that serve vulnerable children from birth to age five, and their parents.
- USDA Farm to Preschool
- National Farm to Preschool
- Iowa Association for the Education of Young Children