Build Your Own Tacos!
Beef is the Food of the Month and this is a great recipe to celebrate beef.
8 hard taco shells, baked according to box
I lb. cooked ground beef
2 T taco seasoning (see recipe below!)
2 small tomatoes
½ head of lettuce
Toppings can include:
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
½ c salsa
½ c sour cream
½ c guacamole
Chopped onions, peppers or olives
- Wash your hands!
- Place beef in microwave safe bowl.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over the beef. Stir.
- Ask an adult to microwave beef until it’s warm.
- Use a plastic serrated knife to chop the tomatoes.
- Tear lettuce into small pieces.
- Put the toppings into separate bowls.
- Starting with a taco shell, build your own taco, adding whichever toppings you’d like! Enjoy!
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
4 T chili powder
2 T cumin
1 T paprika
1 tsp EACH: garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, black pepper
- Mix all ingredients. Store in an airtight container until ready to use. A glass jar or tupperware works great for storing your seasoning.
- When you’re ready to use your taco seasoning, use about 2 T per pound of meat. Feel free to add more or less depending on your preference.
Heat things up with some extra spices and lower the sodium levels by using powders instead of salts! It can also be used with chicken tacos, veggie tacos, shrimp tacos or in other dishes.
Author: Hallie Evans, FFI Early Childhood Associate