Postville Summer School had delicious Snap for Snap Peas celebration for lunch! Grades 4-6 chose recipes and organized ingredients lists, then prepared their dishes and served taste tests to students. Click here for the original post and winning recipe for Snap Pea Pizza.
FoodCorps member Claire shared the other recipes prepared that day.
Berry Good Peas – made by 3-6 TAG
– ½ lb sugar snap peas
– 1 cup blueberries
– 2 Tablespoons raspberry vinegar
– 1/2 Cup oil
– ½ teaspoon lemon zest.
– 1 Tablespoon sliced mint
– ½ teaspoon salt
1. Bring water to a boil. Add snap peas and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Drain peas and rinse under cold water.
3. Place snap peas in a medium bowl with blueberries, set aside.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, lemon peel, salt.
5. Add vinegar mixture and mint to snap peas and toss to coat.
Garlic Sugar Snap Peas – made by 5th grade
– 1 lb. sugar snap peas
– 2 tsp. coconut oil
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tsp. soy sauce
– ¼ tsp. pepper
1. Heat a wok or skillet over high heat with coconut oil.
2. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add sugar snap peas, cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir constantly until peas are tender.
4. Remove from heat. Toss with soy sauce and pepper.
Salty, Sour Snap Peas – made by 6th grade
– 1 lb. sugar snap peas.
– 1 Tbsp. Butter
– 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
– 1 tsp. lemon zest
– ½ Cup mint leaves
– Pinch of salt and pepper
1. In a skillet, boil water and butter
2. Add snap peas to boiling water, cover with a lid.
3. Cook snap peas until they are tender and/or bright green.
4. Remove the lid and reduce heat to medium.
5. Drain any remaining water, let snap peas cool.
6. In a large bowl, mix snap peas, lemon juice, lemon zest, mint, salt and pepper.