Postville Summer School had delicious Snap for Snap Peas celebration for lunch! Grades 4-6 chose recipes and organized ingredients lists, then prepared their dishes and served taste tests to students.
Recipes included a snap pea pizza, Garlic Sugar Snap Peas, Buttery-Lemon Snap Peas, and a Berry Good Peas. Students voted on their favorite recipe, resulting in the 4th grade snap pea pizza as the top favorite. This pizza was made with ricotta cheese, lots of diced garlic, and local snap peas. All snap peas used were from Canoe Creek Produce and other ingredients were purchased from Oneota Co-op. We used about 10 lbs of snap peas.
“Snap for Snap Peas” is a special Farm to School promotion offered at select Iowa sites of the USDA Summer Feeding Program.
4th grade – Snap Pea Pizza
– 1 Cup sugar snap peas
– 2/3 Cup part-skim ricotta cheese
– 2 Tablespoons 1% low-fat milk.
– 1 Garlic clove, minced
– ¾ Cup Part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded.
– 1 pre-made pizza shell, or 12 oz. fresh deli pizza dough.
1. Bring water to a boil in a large sauce pan. Add snap peas and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Drain snap peas and plunge into ice cold water.
3. Mix ricotta, milk, and garlic in a small bowl.
4. Spread the ricotta mixture over pizza dough.
5. Top pizza with mozzarella and snap peas.
6. Bake for 10 minutes.