Postville Summer School Students took a field trip to the Postville Community garden on Friday. Students explored the garden space where the 4-H Garden Club grows produce for the school lunch program. Kindergarten students were most interested in the ripening strawberries!
After journaling, students made cucumber sandwiches and lettuce wraps with local lettuce from Patchwork Green Farm. Pretty fun Friday in the garden!
Recipe: Garden Wraps
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 lb ground chicken or turkey
1.5 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup diced onions or green peppers
1 head of lettuce leaves
1. Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the turkey and season with salt and pepper.
2. Cook the turkey for 5-6 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spatula until mostly cooked through.
3. Add the onions or peppers to the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
4. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 more minute.
5. In a small bowl, when together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil.
6. Pour the sauce over the turkey mixture and toss to coat evenly.
7. Spoon the turkey over the lettuce leaves and serve.