Generous Hearts at NICC

Guest post by Flannery Cerbin-Bohach, NICC Wellness and Life Stage Program Manager

This Thanksgiving, Northeast Iowa Community College (NICC) students and their families will be enjoying local food on their plates. Generous faculty and staff opted to donate Iowa Food Hub Thanksgiving Food Boxes to students in need.

In early November, Phil Jahnke Sauer, Sales and Warehouse Manager, at the Iowa Food Hub (IFH) contacted the College Wellness Director to gauge interest in the IFH Winter Food Box Program. Employees met the idea with enthusiasm.

Then, Julia Sollien, Executive Assistant to the President, asked if it was possible to donate her box to a student and create donation opportunities for other interested employees.

Julia commented, “I have so much to be grateful for, and I’m delighted to pay that forward! The Thanksgiving meal box lets me express my gratitude and someone gets to provide a special meal for their friends and family. It’s a win – win.”

At NICC the Wellness Director, Student Counselor and Student Life Director spread the word and matched students with donated IFH box.

Boxes include fixings for a Thanksgiving meal- a Ferndale Market turkey, Brussel sprouts, potatoes, onions, garlic, salad greens, and buns.

An anonymous donor summed it up, “it feels really good to donate food to a student in need. After all, the giving spirit is what the holidays are all about!”

This entry was posted in Food System by Teresa. Bookmark the permalink.
Teresa

About Teresa

Teresa Wiemerslage is a regional program coordinator for Iowa State University Extension and Outreach in northeast Iowa. She also coordinates the work of the NE Iowa Food & Farm Coalition. She tries to be a good team player and keep up with the service members by posting regularly about the food system.