February is National Snack Month. Kids are hungry especially active kids. Snacks are essential to fueling growing bodies and minds throughout the day. Unfortunately, snacking often leads to more reliance on convenience foods that may be easy to grab and go, but are not always a healthy choice. This means excess of empty calories and vitamin deficits that can build up over time leading to health issues including childhood obesity.
Caitlin from Waukon enjoys cauliflower as a snack.
Help the children in your life make a contribution to their health by providing delicious, nourishing snacks that encourage healthy choices. They can even have fun helping make them. Many preschoolers like to dip their snack in something so below I included easy, affordable ‘dippable’ snack ideas that can still be healthy as well as delicious for the whole family. Remember this should be snack size not a meal.
- Dip baby carrots, celery, cauliflower or cherry tomatoes in low-fat ranch dressing.
- Dip strawberries, grapes, pears or apple slices in low-fat yogurt.
- Dip pretzels in mustard.
- Dip baked pita chips in hummus.
- Dip graham crackers in applesauce.
- Dip baked tortilla chips in bean dip.
- Dip animal crackers in low-fat pudding.
- Dip a bread stick in salsa.
- Dip a granola bar in low-fat yogurt.