Celebrate this particularly squash-y time of year with some recipes from the Postville garden crew! Because as one of our gardeners said,
It’s days like these when we have to somehow sneak zucchini into everything!
- Preheat oven to 425F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 t. Italian seasoning, 1 ½ T. flour, and ¾ t. salt.
- Place ¾ c. dried bread crumbs in another small bowl.
- Cut 2 medium zucchini in half crosswise, then cut each half into 8 pieces lengthwise.
- Dredge pieces in flour mixture, then dip into 2 large egg whites, whipped until frothy.
- Dredge in bread crumbs.
- Place zucchini on prepared baking sheet; coat with cooking spray.
- Roast, turning once, until desired crispness, about 12 minutes.
Serves 4, yields 8 fries/serving
- 1-2 zucchini- sliced (about 10 cups)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 eggs
- ¼ c. seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 t. Italian seasoning
- ¼ t. ground black pepper
- 1- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 c. shredded mozz cheese
- ¼ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a large casserole or 9 x 13” pan; set aside.
- Wash zucchini and discard ends. Cut into slices. Remove seeds before slicing.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion slices & cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In bowl, stir together the eggs, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Add undrained tomatoes, and cheeses. Pour over zucchini mixture and stir to mix.
- Pour into casserole. Bake uncovered for 60 minutes. Top will be golden brown.
- Cut into squares. Serve.